Sidmouth Jewellers triumph for James Spiller
- Credit: Archant
The fifth round of the Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night league was won by James Spiller who scored a remarkable 43 points to win by six.
Spiller had six birdies, including the 17th and 18th for a tidy finish.
The round was built on a great back nine where he amassed 24 points. Spiller birdied the tenth and came back in just 30 shots, three better gross than the course par.
In second place was H Thompson with 37 points, his back nine just better then Lee Wenham, whom he beat on countback.
Thompson is proof it is never too late to take up the game. He started taking lessons well after he retired and is now beginning to build some consistent scores and he is improving his handicap regularly.
You may also want to watch:
Had he entered the sweep, he would have won a lot more cash!
Wenham scored well on the front nine with a couple of birdies on two and four, but lost a few points over the last holes which cost him second place.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
The Friday Night League is still being led by Guy Davis on 25 points but the gap has closed with Craig Melluish on 24 points and Spiller’s win taking him into third place on 23.
l This year’s Fields Cup was won by Anne Blackler, with Liz Chance in second place, and Andrea Milton taking third place on countback from Sue Billinghurst.
Congratulations are also due to Sheila Faulkner, who represented Sidmouth in the regional finals of the England Golf Union competition, held in Weston-Super-Mare.