Sidmouth juniors enjoy rugby tour to Weymouth
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth juniors travelled to Dorset for an end of season tour to the Weymouth area to attend a festival.
They took players from the ages of seven to 11 as well as the girl’s Under-13 team.
The theme for the tour was ‘The Circus’ and so, amongst the 200 plus that travelled to Weymouth were the likes of Mark ‘cannon ball’ Ross, Phil ‘the flash’ Grove and Joe ‘the mime’ Wall!
The rugby, played over two days, saw the Sidmouth teams take on opposition from Sussex, Berkshire, Surrey and Devon.
The Under-11 age group had 11 competing teams, three of them from Sidmouth.
You may also want to watch:
One of the Sidmouth travelling coaches commented: “The festival was very well-organised and played in a very enjoyable atmosphere.”
Sidmouth Under-13 girl’s won three of the four quarters that they contested and they impressed throughout with some terrific all-round play and clinical try scoring.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 10 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
Winger Jess Perry made a name for herself with a hat-trick of tries and one particularly magical moment came when Daisy Grove sprinted the length of the pitch to score, chased all the way by a considerably larger opposition player who could not catch her!
The Circus themed tour also included entertainment skits from every from every age group including Jon Tanner dancing in most of them, Jon Brooks’s ‘world famous flea circus’ and all being compered by a man in a shiny suit!
The tour court also allowed Henry Sanford to vent some frustrations and ensure the world is free from Danny Murphy’s singing!
All in all, a great way to end the junior rugby season. All involved would like to place on record a big round thanks to organisers Phil Grove and Joe Wall.