Sidmouth ladies all set to say cheerio to the summer game
The countdown has begun at Sidmouth Bowls Club to the big event of the outdoor season, the Finals Weekend, writes Susie Bonnell.
It’s always a bitter sweet time of the year for the dawning of the big weekend means that the outdooor season is on its last legs!
We’ve had a beautiful summer again this year and we’ll be hoping for more sunshine to see us through to this year’s final outdoor game.
That’s the club’s closing drive, always a most popular affair and this year’s event will be held on Tuesday, September 23 when passers-by will have the last opportunity to sit and watch the club’s members send their bowls flying up and down the green, trying their very best to home in on that elusive jack.
The laughter and the ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ are guaranteed, as always, in these friendly matches, but we’ll all be sad knowing we have to wait until next April to play outside again.
You may also want to watch:
On the up side - the winter season starts on September 25 - no seagulls swooping, no squirrels running amok, no bowling in summer showers and certainly no waterproofs needed for the next seve months!
Mind you - there’ll be nothing to blame for any wayward bowls! Bowling indoors on the club’s three rinks and visiting other clubs for friendlies and competitions will soon make the winter fly by.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
If you’ve been reading about us all summer and fancy trying your hand at bowls, you’ll be made very welcome - so go on, give it a go.
Call in at the club or contact our Membership Secretary - David Butler - on 01395 512697.