Sidmouth ladies all set to say cheerio to the summer game
The countdown has begun at Sidmouth Bowls Club to the big event of the outdoor season, the Finals Weekend, writes Susie Bonnell.
It’s always a bitter sweet time of the year for the dawning of the big weekend means that the outdooor season is on its last legs!
We’ve had a beautiful summer again this year and we’ll be hoping for more sunshine to see us through to this year’s final outdoor game.
That’s the club’s closing drive, always a most popular affair and this year’s event will be held on Tuesday, September 23 when passers-by will have the last opportunity to sit and watch the club’s members send their bowls flying up and down the green, trying their very best to home in on that elusive jack.
The laughter and the ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ are guaranteed, as always, in these friendly matches, but we’ll all be sad knowing we have to wait until next April to play outside again.
You may also want to watch:
On the up side - the winter season starts on September 25 - no seagulls swooping, no squirrels running amok, no bowling in summer showers and certainly no waterproofs needed for the next seve months!
Mind you - there’ll be nothing to blame for any wayward bowls! Bowling indoors on the club’s three rinks and visiting other clubs for friendlies and competitions will soon make the winter fly by.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
If you’ve been reading about us all summer and fancy trying your hand at bowls, you’ll be made very welcome - so go on, give it a go.
Call in at the club or contact our Membership Secretary - David Butler - on 01395 512697.