Sidmouth ladies boosted by sea gull visit
- Credit: Archant
It’s been an excellent start to the summer season for Sidmouth Tennis Club, for both senior and junior teams, writes Kate Truman.
The mixed team played an extremely competitive match away at Budleigh Salterton.
All rubbers were very close, but Sidmouth managed to retain control of two all-important championship tie breaks to secure a 6-5 victory.
The ladies’ B visited Bovey Tracey where they played in a closely contested match that saw two championship tie breaks. Drama unfolded when, at 8-7 up in her tie break with partner Marlene Maynard, Jackie Ensall was hit directly in the mouth by a forceful volley delivered by her opponent.
In shock and with a split lip, she continued to play the tie break out, but the duo had been severely distracted and went on to lose 10-8.
You may also want to watch:
What could have been a 6-4 victory for Sidmouth ended instead in a 5-5 draw.
The men’s’ B played their first match of the season at Newton St Cyres where they netted a comfortable 7-4 win. Gregg Pepper joined the team for the first time playing competitively in a long while, pairing up with Mike Fletcher, and thoroughly enjoyed himself.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
Finally, the ladies’ launched their new season with a home game against Sampford Peverell.
The first direct hit of the match came from a seagull which decorated Di Kendall-Tory’s t-shirt!
It appeared to bring the team good luck as they were in fine form, securing an easy 8-1 win.