Sidmouth ladies bowls to Top Club success over Honiton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth ladies were quietly celebrating a major win against their friends and rivals, Honiton, last Saturday, writes Susie Bonnell.
Contesting what was a tense and indeed exciting National Top Club fixture, both teams served up some superb bowling across the four disciplines – 4-wood, singles, pairs, triples and a rink.
Jane Painter for Sidmouth and Carol Binmore for Honiton dished up an outstanding contest in the 4-wood singles.
Both ladies produced bowls that had a large number of spectators captivated.
Jane found herself 20-16 down with Carol needing just a single shot to secure victory.
You may also want to watch:
However, Jane dug deep – very deep – and, despite Carol holding shot, Jane delivered a perfect wood to take the jack back to her own bowls, securing another chance to win.
The rest is history, as they say, with Jane going on to get the magic score of 21 shots to win the discipline!
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
It was then left to the pairs, triples and rinks to battle it out.
The final scores fell in Sidmouth’s favour, only losing on the rinks, giving Sidmouth three of the available four points.
The reward for the Sidmouth ladies is a next round meeting with Tiverton West and we all wish them every bit of good fortune for that particular contest.