Sidmouth ladies bowls tour latest
- Credit: Archant
If you have walked past Sidmouth Bowling Club’s rinks this week, you might have thought it was extra quiet because of the weather, writes Susie Bonnell.
Not at all! It’s because 30 of the club’s adventurers have become, ‘The Touring Side’. We have been nicely ensconced in a beachfront hotel in Bournemouth since Monday.
Not without adventure!
The first game, on Monday afternoon, was preceded by a barbecue provided by King’s Park Bowls Club. Sadly the weather was not befitting of the company or circumstances!
Thus we all ate huddled inside, the weather cleared enough for us to play. In Sidmouth we have cheeky squirrels and rampaging seagulls to deal with - but at least they move when a wood is bowled down the green.
You may also want to watch:
At King’s Park the gale force winds had left the green covered in leaves, fallen conkers and various other debris - making play a challenge.
The stalwart Sidmothians played on through a deluge of rain and hail; endured biting winds and wintry temperatures to achieve an overall win by 25 shots.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 10 Sad loss at Beer Albion
They say it’s the taking part that matters – well, back at the hotel - windswept and wet - it felt as though we’d completed an SAS (Special Air Service) endurance challenge - it was dinner and an early night for the brave bowlers!