Sidmouth Ladies brush up stir fry skills
This week, as the summer competition season draws to a close, the ladies enjoyed two relaxing fun games - the lady captain’s away day at Dainton Park - and a fun four clubs and a putter competition, writes Alison Cook.
Monday saw 28 players at Dainton Park - no stress, no concerns about handicaps going up or down, just an enjoyable game of golf on a course chosen by the Lady Captain. For one team, the fun started a little earlier than expected when, guided by their sat nav, they found themselves in a Newton Abbot supermarket car park!
The format for the day was a Bowmaker played in threes, two scores counting on each hole. Motivation to play well was provided by the sight of the prizes chosen by the Lady Captain –a wonderful array of woks - all colours and sizes. Immediately, the event became ‘win a wok day’ and was off to a flying start .
The eventual lucky winners, who will now be honing their stir fry skills were Margot Beauchamp, Angela Cole and Sylvia Roberts. Second were Yvonne Anning, Ann Blackler and Mavis Vanstone and third , Janet Humberstone, Jane Renkin and Marie Timms.
?On Wednesday, the winners played as well with their limited selection of clubs as they do with their complete set. For the rest there was a ready made excuse for a poor score - they had chosen the wrong four clubs!
You may also want to watch:
Those who had made a wise selection and were in the prizes were Janet Humberstone, who won with 34 points. Her chipping was the envy of her partner, Angela Cole, who came second with 33 points. In third place, with 32 points ,was Jocelyn Le Masurier.
?Next week, the ladies will be supporting the Great Macmillan coffee morning on Friday, September 30, from 10am-noon. This cause is Lady Captain Sheila Skittrall’s charity for the year and she would welcome anyone who is free to go along to swell the numbers and the funds.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride