Sidmouth ladies defeat the Sidmouth men as season draws to a close
- Credit: Archant
There was a flourish of bowling to finish off the season culminating in the closing drive on Sunday, writes Ron Cook.
Our two visitors were from relatively local clubs who always provide a competitive match and good humour on and off the rinks.
Otter St Mary brought four mixed rinks on Wednesday with Sidmouth winning all four rinks.
The scores were; John Greenaway, Mary Turner, Jean Green and skip Ron Cook (26-19), Anita Mason, Wilf Radburn, Elaine Reed and skip Ray Tallent (17-12), Ken Bridgman, Margaret King, Tony Mitchum and skip Paddy Wrench (15-12) and Jim Wrench, Chris Radburn, Sylvia Cook and skip Jane Painter (24-19).
On Friday it was the turn of the gents to entertain the ladies’ to a friendly match which are always keenly contested with much banter across the rinks and not always very flattering.
You may also want to watch:
On this occasion, the men were humbled to the tune of a 121-114 reversal and complimented the ladies on their win with good grace!
The top ladies rink was that of Ann England, Maureen Lamb, Paddy Chew and skip Jane Painter (22-12) whilst the top men’s rink was the one of John Greenaway, Allan Davis, Peter Bloomfield and skip Ron Cook (20-13).
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 10 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
Our final friendly was against Tiverton Borough who had requested a visit to Sidmouth having had to start winter work on their green.
Four mixed triples were played with Tiverton pipping Sidmouth by one shot at 62-61.
The two winning rinks for Sidmouth were Lynda Hargrave, Janice Quinn and skip Ron Cook (13-11) and Gary Hargrave, Doreen Pound and skip Val Newnham (24-14).
On Sunday we closed the greens with the final event of the year, a mixed pairs drive well organised by John Mason and John Chew.
Scoring on a cumulative basis after three sets of seven ends Paddy Wrench and Ray Hart topped the scores with plus 30 shots. Very well done.
All members present paid a great compliment to Val Newnham and John Greenaway for their efforts as captain in making this year an exceptional one.
We have welcomed many new bowlers to the club who have played some excellent bowls which bodes well for the future.
See you all next year