Sidmouth ladies edged out in close encounters at the Devon County Finals Weekend
- Credit: Archant
Early on Sunday morning, I went off to Plymstock with others to watch two of our club members, Jean Brimson and Jill Bishop, play in the semi-final of the ladies’ County Over70s pairs, writes Carol Smith.
The previous day, Jean and Jill, together with another of our own, Ann Capron, were supported by a large contingent of Sidmouth folk as they played at the same venue, contesting the semi-final of the ladies’ county two-wood triples.
Some of our supporters even stayed overnight so they could also support on Sunday!
Unfortunately, our three lost the semi-final to a very strong team from Newton Abbot.
On the Sunday it was a different story!
You may also want to watch:
In the semi-final, Jean and Jill played a very good pair from Barnstaple Ashley Road BC. Although our pair trailed a little behind for several ends, they dug deep, got up a head of steam, won the last few ends, and secured a 17-12 success and a coveted place in the final.
A 30-minute break followed before our duo were back on the green where, under some brilliant sunshine, they came up against a terrific pairing from Torbay CC who, on this occasion, took the match honours. That said, how brilliant did our ladies do to grace County Finals Day. Well done, ladies.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution