Sidmouth ladies enjoy visit of Devon President’s team
- Credit: Archant
Last Sunday saw another mixed friendly match for Sidmouth bowlers, this time against very good friends at Madeira, writes Carol Smith.
There is a long history of friendly, enjoyable and competitive matches played between our two clubs and this one was no different.
On this occasion Sidmouth had a very successful afternoon, winning on all three rinks, with an overall score of 67 shots to 38, with the best Sidmouth rink being the one of Paddy Chew, Joan Monagham, Allen Davis and skip Susie Bonnell, who recorded a terrific score of 27 shots to 14.
On Tuesday we entertained our ladies’ county president Leslie Crutchley and her players from various Devon clubs for a Patrons game.
It proved to be a very enjoyable morning and, as it happened, Sidmouth managed to win on all three rinks and with an overall final score of 60 shots to 28!
You may also want to watch:
The best of the Sidmouth rinks was the one of Mary Turner, Pat Harvie, Susie Bonnell and skip Val Newnham, with a score of 26-12.
After the game Sandra and Wendy served a delicious ploughman’s lunch followed by mince pies and cream.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
We also had a raffle which raised money for the president’s charity, which this year is the Devon Air Ambulance.
On Friday both our ladies’ teams played their second round in the Masons A and B against Isca and Torbay.
Unfortunately, they were just too good for us and we lost on all four rinks. Hey, ho, better luck next year!
If anyone reading this would like to try their hand at this great game of bowls, please note that we offer taster training sessions indoors for free!
Just get in touch with our coaches on 07958 938031. The noble sport of bowls is truly a very sociable game and there are all sorts of levels for folk to play at from the serious stuff right down to social friendly with league and club roll-up play in between.
Why not come along and give it a try for yourself?