Sidmouth ladies land superb Interclub competition win at Teignmouth
- Credit: Archant
On a beautiful sunny morning, Sidmouth ladies travelled to Teignmouth to meet Bitton Park in the Devon Interclub competition, writes Carol Smith.
This is a knockout competition and this year some 57 entries from clubs all over Devon are taking part.
Sidmouth last won this coveted cup in 2004 and have since been in many quarter- and semi-finals.
Our supporting photographs with this article show the old – and the new – spot some of the old faces that are still in the new! Fashions have changed just a little!
Two rinks (fours) from each club have to play on a neutral green some halfway between the two clubs.
You may also want to watch:
Both Sidmouth teams started very well and led all the way so the final aggregate score was 56-34 in our favour.
Our teams were Jean Brimson, Jane Painter, Lynda Dommett and skip Carol Smith, 30-18, and Karen Hollingdale, Susie Bonnell, Zena Johnson and skip Jill Bishop, 26 - 16.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
This represents a brilliant start to our challenge this time. Well done ladies, let’s keep this going!
?Last Thursday, on a very cool late afternoon, a Sidmouth ladies’ trio went off to Seaton to contest the Section 3B final of the County Triples.
Sidmouth didn’t start too well, losing on the first four ends, but managed to keep the loss down to one each end.
Then Seaton ladies didn’t score for the next four ends. After that the game was nip and tuck all the way and what an exciting game it was!
There was never more than one or two shots either way and Sidmouth went into the final end – the 18th – just a single shot down.
However, on a very tricky green, our lead, Jean, managed to get a very close shot, which to our relief stayed there.
The opposition thought they had second shot so that would have caused an extra end. After a very close measure, the second shot was ours, and the final score was one of 14 shots to us and 13 to them – phew!
So, well done, Jean Brimson, Jane Painter and skip Carol Smith, who now are down to the last 16 and go on to play at team from Section 4B at the Exonia Club in Exeter on July 2.