Sidmouth ladies’ see off gentlemen to lift the Millennium Plate
- Credit: Archant
While the rest of Sidmouth was watching the start of a stage in the Tour of Britain cycle race, the ladies of the Golf Club were involved in a match against the senior gentlemen of the club, writes Ros Eaton.
This is not a fixture to be taken lightly, fear of losing to ladies seemed extremely worrying for some men!
So much so that a certain pair even forgot the format they were playing and so gifted the first hole to their opponents by hitting wrong balls.
What actually was at stake was the Millennium Plate.
As the name suggests this trophy has been competed for since the year 2000, during which time the ladies’ have won it only twice before this year. With the score six games to five in favour of the ladies’ it was a closely fought encounter, but one that was enjoyed by all.
You may also want to watch:
The weather was splendid, the company wonderful. We all look forward to next year’s encounter when I am sure the gentlemen will be seeking a different result!
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom