Sidmouth Lady Captain’s Away Day enjoyed by one and all
- Credit: Archant
One of the main events of each year for the Lady Captain is her away day, played at a club of her choice, writes Maria Clapp.
This year’s captain, Sheila Faulkner, invited us to Stover near Newton Abbot.
Teams of three were the order of the day, with two scores to count. One slight hitch was that we played with an orange ball in rotation and your points were doubled for that hole.
Therefore, nobody wanted to be responsible for loosing the ball! My team were very close to doing this on the fourth hole. Luckily, we found it in the reeds at the back of the pond!
The winning team was the one of Liz Chance, Marian Andrews and Susan Hackett with 95 points.
You may also want to watch:
Second place went to Maria Clapp, Sheila Tallon and Pauline Couldwell with 89 points and third, with 85 points, was the team of Angela Coles, Sheila Skittrall and Jill Jeffrey.
Liz Chance, who was in the winning team, is always very anxious about losing the orange ball!
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
In fact, she has been known to climb into the undergrowth and get her feet wet, as to not loose the ball. They were successful in keeping the ball on this occasion.
Amazingly, Liz also broke the head off her favourite club, her five wood. Not sure how she did this, but she did still manage to be in the winning team – remarkable!
Afterwards, the ladies sat down to a meal and prizegiving in the club house. Golf visors, gloves and balls were presented to the winners.