Sidmouth Lady Captain’s Day is a huge success
- Credit: Archant
It seems like only yesterday when the new lady captain, Zena Johnson, bowled us in to the first game of the 2014 indoor season, writes Susie Bonnell.
Yet there we all were, last Thursday, joining Zena and her vice captain, Mary Turner, in the annual lady captain’s lunch - and a jolly good time was had by all (even those on the losing teams!).
Some ladies played in the morning match, to then follow on with a lovely lunch, joined by Zena’s invited guests and the ladies who were going on to play in the afternoon game.
There was only one man present for the lunch, but the occasion would have been far less enjoyable had this particular person not been with us!
Club president, Len Catford, made a witty and funny speech and presented the honoured guests and the indoor committee with beautiful flowers. There was lots of laughter on and off the rinks and with the lady captain’s team’s trailing after the morning game.
You may also want to watch:
That meant Zena was encouraging all her teams to play for victory in the afternoon.
Maybe it was a cake too many or the fact the bar was open for lunch, but the vice captains’ team’s lost the lead as the afternoon went on, leaving Zena’s teams with an overall 88-76 success.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Zena and Mary would like to pass on their personal thanks to everyone for making it a very special day and for everyone’s ongoing support.