Sidmouth land Top Club viictory over Budleigh and now face Madeira
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth ladies’ played a three team triples match at Feniton last Tuesday with the hosts winning all three rinks and overall by 49 shots to 41, writes Ron Cook.
On Wednesday, playing on a neutral green at Newton Abbot against Plymstock, Sidmouth ran out 37-28 winners. The best rink was that of Pat Pritchard, Phil Nobbs, Val Newnham and skip Jill Bishop who won 22-9.
Also on Wednesday the club hosted a Grace Matthews Top Club match against Madeira A.
Sidmouth suffered two early defeats in the 2 and 4 woods singles and so, the evenly balanced contest moved to the three team events.
With some outstanding late play in both the Pairs and Triples Sidmouth finished with three wins to two to take the match honours!
You may also want to watch:
The successful teams were; in the four’s, Brenda Somerfield, Phil Nobbs, Val Newnham and skip Jill Bishop (32-16). In the triples, Anita mason, Paddy Wrench and skip Janet Hughes (19-16) and in the pair’s, Jean Brimson and Eileen Hewett (22-16). Well done, to al our ladies.
Two County competitions saw Sidmouth winning both County Trophy and Top Club against Budleigh Salterton.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 5 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
The scores were; from the home teams, Tony Holland, John Doyle, David Hughes and skip Ron Cook (23-8); David Fairclough, Jim Wrench, Trevor A Pritchard and skip Mike Borst (37- 6); and from the away teams; Ken Bridgman, Peter Mison, John Mason and skip Bob Seldon (33-15); Maurice Watson, Bert Hague, Brian Smith and skip Norman Brimson (17-17).
The Top Club was played away at Budleigh so rink advantage was firmly with the home team.
The Sidmouth 4 and 2 Woods matches were lost, leaving it to the team matches in which all three ran out winners. Fours were Tony Holland, Maurice Watson, Mike Borst and skip Norman Brimson (19-14); the triple of Ken Bridgman, John Mason and skip Bob Seldon (18-17) whilst the pair’s; David Hughes and Ron Cook (21-19).
Sidmouth now take on Madeira at home in the next round on June 27.
Last Thursday a visit to Feniton saw the hosts prove too strong as they won 89-45 whilst the mixed match set for Bridport was cancelled.
In the County 2 wood singles competition Ron Cook won his group and progressed to the last 16 which will be played at Bideford in July.