Sidmouth make Kingston Maurward work hard for their success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth were edged out by a margin of just two games when they entertained the six-player team from Kingston Maurward Croquet Club contesting a SWF Croquet Level Play League match.
In this contest 20 games are played comprising of four doubles and 16 singles, each lasting 50 minutes.
Two of the Kingston Maurward team were ‘scratch’ players having handicaps of minus one and one which made the visitors stiff opposition indeed to the higher handicap Sidmouth team.
In perfect playing weather, the morning session of four doubles and eight singles, ended with Sidmouth trailing four-and-a-half to seven-and-a-half.
The home side rallied after lunch an, in the afternoon period the singles matches ended four-and-a-half to Sidmouth, three-and-a-half to Kingston Maurward.
You may also want to watch:
The main reason for the visitors’ victory was the play of their lowest handicap player, Jonathan Powe, who, playing off minus one, enjoyed four straight victories.
However, there was one special moment for the home side with the Sidmouth pairing of Phillip Harris and Graeme Pryor defeated Jonathan Powe and Kathleen Burt in a doubles contest.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend