Sidmouth men bag 12-shot win at Madeira
- Credit: Archant
A very satisfactory result against Madeira Club cheered the Sidmouth men bowlers, writes David Fairclough.
With Sidmouth bowlers in need of a warm weather mid-season break, and their budgets not running to a lower latitude hotspot, they were more than happy with a four day break in Torquay. More than 30 club members headed west with their bowls for a short busman’s holiday.
In their absence the competitive external matches were limited. It was quite ironic then that the men should receive three rinks from Madeira Club (that is Madeira in Exmouth, and not that holiday island of the same name rather closer to the Equator!).
Despite the absentees Sidmouth were still able to turn out three competitive rinks to represent the club in what is always a keenly contested fixture. The result was a win on two of the three rinks, and an overall win with an aggregate shot score of 64-52. The best winning rink, by a shot score of 22-8, was skipped by John Mason, supported by Harry Carpenter, Roger Stewart and Dennis Denner. Congratulations to all concerned.
This was a very welcome result, given that it reversed the corresponding away game result played in Exmouth in October, when Sidmouth lost by a two shot margin.
You may also want to watch:
We can now look forward to the second half of the season with renewed confidence.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support