Sidmouth men bag 12-shot win at Madeira
- Credit: Archant
A very satisfactory result against Madeira Club cheered the Sidmouth men bowlers, writes David Fairclough.
With Sidmouth bowlers in need of a warm weather mid-season break, and their budgets not running to a lower latitude hotspot, they were more than happy with a four day break in Torquay. More than 30 club members headed west with their bowls for a short busman’s holiday.
In their absence the competitive external matches were limited. It was quite ironic then that the men should receive three rinks from Madeira Club (that is Madeira in Exmouth, and not that holiday island of the same name rather closer to the Equator!).
Despite the absentees Sidmouth were still able to turn out three competitive rinks to represent the club in what is always a keenly contested fixture. The result was a win on two of the three rinks, and an overall win with an aggregate shot score of 64-52. The best winning rink, by a shot score of 22-8, was skipped by John Mason, supported by Harry Carpenter, Roger Stewart and Dennis Denner. Congratulations to all concerned.
This was a very welcome result, given that it reversed the corresponding away game result played in Exmouth in October, when Sidmouth lost by a two shot margin.
You may also want to watch:
We can now look forward to the second half of the season with renewed confidence.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 8 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners