Sidmouth men’s B crew bag best result to date in fine effort at Paignton gig regatta
- Credit: Archant
The hottest day of the year saw Sidmouth gig club enter Paignton regatta on Saturday in their gig Keith Owen.
As if to order, a couple of dolphins frolicked across the bay to welcome the nineteen gigs taking part.
With superb rowing sea conditions it quickly became apparent that racing was going to be fast and furious throughout the day.
The course was a kite shape with the home straight from the pier across the seafront which gave spectators good views of the finish line.
The men’s B team were the first out and recorded the best result for Sidmouth so far, coming in seventh out of eighteen after a very close run finish with local rivals, Lyme and Bridport.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies B team which was a scratch team of veterans and younger rowers and hadn’t rowed as a team before, hung on gamely to the end of the pack in their race. The men’s veterans had a very fast pace set by Flushing and Mylor in their gig Wilt, runners up in the world championships this year Sidmouth were just beaten right on the on the line by Torridge into last place.
The mixed team set off at a cracking pace with ace team and world championship contenders Caradon heading the pack. After a close fight with Blackbird from Clevedon club, they came in ninth out of fifteen.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
A good days racing was had by all especially so as it was amongst a field of highly competitive gig clubs.
The next outing for Sidmouth is to the Lyme Regis gig regatta which is of course very nearly home waters!
The Lyme Regis regatta takes place on August 10, and the date for the Sidmouth gig regatta is September 22.
Anybody interested in gig racing or sponsorship for the big Sidmouth gig regatta can find out more by visiting the clubs website at www.sidmouthgigclub.com