Sidmouth Northcott Classic success for White and Jones
- Credit: Archant
On Saturday, Sidmouth members played in the Northott Classic, sponsored by Northcott Brothers, an independent family run funeral directors company, writes John Barnard.
This was a really well-run competition. As players walked to the first tee, they were offered free balls and tees, a water bottle, fresh fruit etc; a really welcoming start which was appreciated on a fairly inclement day!
The format was a different challenge as well. The first six holes were played as a two person texas scramble, then the next six holes played as a better ball except for holes 11 and 12 where both scores counted.
Finally, six holes of foursomes, always a format that can test good friendships!
Continuing his great run of form, Kym White, playing with Terry Jones came out on top with 45 points, perhaps less than expected when 20 scores were going on the scorecard rather than the usual 18.
You may also want to watch:
Kym and Terry played a steady round, the highlight being a birdie on the difficult third hole for four points. In second place were Jeremy Fox and club treasurer Alan Billinghurst who scored 44 points and just beat Mick Munro and Bob Andrews on countback.
In the ladies section, Andrea Milton and Susan Hackett won with 41 points and on the day, there were seven two’s, winning over £9 each, so well worth entering.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
You had to be lucky with the weather, the early starters got wet over the front nine while the afternoon starters got really wet and windy weather.
This was an excellent event, well managed and a pleasure to play in.