Sidmouth Open High Handicap win for Penny Ball
- Credit: Archant
The first Saturday of July saw the staging of the Sidmouth Open High Handicap and it attracted a strong field of players from clubs in the south west, writes Richard Thurlow.
Entries were limited to players with handicaps of 16 or higher.
Early rounds were closely fought, but home advantage dominated and each of the four blocks was won by a Sidmouth player.
The first semi-final saw a convincing win for Penny Ball over Kelvin Dent. The second semi-final was a close affair with Pam Bowra narrowly beating Sue Dent.
The final was a tense affair with the result in doubt until the final minute, Penny Ball emerging as the victor by 13-11.
You may also want to watch:
Fortunately there was insufficient time for the Dents to play each other, so marital bliss endures.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown