Sidmouth openers take race to be first to 500 Premier Division runs into Torquay game
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth duly claimed a tenth success of the Francis Clark Devon League Premier Division season with a 10-wicket triumph over bottom side Cornwood in match hit by the rain.
Aussie Daniel Babula picked up a four wicket haul as the South Devon side were restricted to 161-9 in their 50 overs.
Babula is the teams leading wicket taker in the league campaign with 22 to date. That’s four more than Josh Bess who picked up one for 38 runs at Cornwood.
Skipper Will Murray and David Miles each claimed a wicket and there were two for Liam Lewis.
Lewis and Bess then led a swift run chase with the team chasing a revised figure as rain washed out the remainder of the game with the win sealed midway through the 28th over.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis finished unbeaten on 50 with Bess not out 35.
That leaves the pair in a tight race to see which of them can be first to 500 league runs this season.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 9 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
There is precious little between the two! Bess leads with his 474 runs and an average of 59.3, but Lewis is not far behind with his 467 runs and a current average of 58.4.
Both players will expect to reach the milestone in tomorrow’s game at home to Torquay.