Sidmouth Oranges Under-10s win well at Withycombe
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth took three Under-10 teams to Withycombe for their latest action.
A more perfect crisp November morning is hard to imagine.
With the Withycombe team warmed up by their contest with the Allens’ Allstars, the Sidmouth Oranges stepped forward to toe the line.
The narrow pitch made for a physical game as both teams attempted to break the line; this was to be a contest of the tackle and the ruck and maul.
Scotty Monro Higgs fought typically hard at the breakdown with a trade mark clear out twice during the game, supported well by Gyll Gray while Harry Finch’s tackling and zippy direct running set the standard, and Reece Hext ran his typically sweeping lines. Joshua Priestley and Charley Rowland both showed their mettle and Toby Morris was never far from the mix.
You may also want to watch:
Oranges scored first when Alec Bagwell released Tom Grove who broke several tackles to score in the corner.
However, Withycombe capitalised quickly on a couple of missed tackles to run in a fast try and level it going into half time.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The nail-biter took on a similar shape in the second half, but the Orange pressure was to prove too much. The rush defence speared by Alec Bagwell caused disarray in the Withycombe back line and a sharp interception run home by Tom Grove sealed a 4-1 victory.