Sidmouth & Ottery Hockey Club girls Under-14s crowned Devon champions
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) Under-14 girls are the Devon champions.
Just four years ago this age group side were in their infancy as a team and suffering some heavy losses.
However the players, and their coaches, stuck with it and, four years on they are Devon’s top team!
Katie Dean and Jim Harris are the coaches responsible for the ‘rise and rise’ of this particular SOHC team.
Playing at finals day, the SOHC youngsters made a shaky start to their day with a 0-0 draw. But whatever was then said post match by the coaches to the team – it worked!
You may also want to watch:
Game two saw SOHC defeat ECVV 5-0 and they went one better in their next match, beating Torbay 7-0!
That set them up with a semi-final meeting with Exe, one of the few teams to have got the better of SOHC during the regular season, but, with confidence clearly high, the team passed superbly and defended with discipline on their way to an impressive 6-0 success.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
That set them up with a final meeting against Plymouth Marjon and, once again every single player rose to the occasion as SOHC won 4-1 to be crowned Devon champions.
Thanks are due, in a abundance too, to coaches Katie and Jim for their combined dedication and patience and also to Heather Scott for all the organising. Last, but certainly not least with regard to the rounds of thanks, to the parents for ferrying around all over the county this year.