Sidmouth outdoor bowlers launch new season with Chardstock victory
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth BC’s outdoor season traditionally starts with a game against Chardstock.
This year was no exception. The game consisted of three rinks of men’s triples and Sidmouth won narrowly by 56-46 on a rather chilly afternoon.
The best Sidmouth rink was Bill Sheerman, Chris Rourke and Ron Cook, skip.
Sidmouth invited Phear Park for a five-rink triples mixed match and lost overall 79-76 with Elaine Reed, Frank Adlam and Chris Nappin, skip being the best Sidmouth rink.
Sidmouth entertained the first touring team of the season, Panther Tourists, a six club group from Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
This was a six-rink mixed match played in very cold conditions. Sidmouth won overall 122-98 and the best rink consisted of Chris Radburn, Jim Brown, Anita Mason
and skip Mike Borst.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The usually hotly contested ladies versus gents match, which was played on bank holiday Monday, was interrupted by heavy rain during the first half, but improved in the second, much to everyone’s delight.
The game was six rinks of men and six rinks of ladies. The result was a draw in terms of winning rinks, but the gents had two rinks with higher scores so won on the overall count.
The winning rink was Ken Bridgman, Stewart Thomson, Ken Robertson and skip John Mason.