Sidmouth outdoor bowlers launch new season with Chardstock victory
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth BC’s outdoor season traditionally starts with a game against Chardstock.
This year was no exception. The game consisted of three rinks of men’s triples and Sidmouth won narrowly by 56-46 on a rather chilly afternoon.
The best Sidmouth rink was Bill Sheerman, Chris Rourke and Ron Cook, skip.
Sidmouth invited Phear Park for a five-rink triples mixed match and lost overall 79-76 with Elaine Reed, Frank Adlam and Chris Nappin, skip being the best Sidmouth rink.
Sidmouth entertained the first touring team of the season, Panther Tourists, a six club group from Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
This was a six-rink mixed match played in very cold conditions. Sidmouth won overall 122-98 and the best rink consisted of Chris Radburn, Jim Brown, Anita Mason
and skip Mike Borst.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
The usually hotly contested ladies versus gents match, which was played on bank holiday Monday, was interrupted by heavy rain during the first half, but improved in the second, much to everyone’s delight.
The game was six rinks of men and six rinks of ladies. The result was a draw in terms of winning rinks, but the gents had two rinks with higher scores so won on the overall count.
The winning rink was Ken Bridgman, Stewart Thomson, Ken Robertson and skip John Mason.