Sidmouth presented with trophies at Devon Cricket League awards night
- Credit: Archant
SIDMOUTH picked up two awards at the Francis Clark Devon Cricket League awards night in Exeter, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
The 2nd XI won their Premier Division by two points in a race to the wire with Exeter.
Matt Hewer led the way with the bat, scoring 706 runs at an average of 54.31, with skipper Charlie Dibble leading the wicket-taking effort with 26 at 13.42 each.
Dibble went along to collect the cup that Sidmouth last won in 2010.
Sidmouth were also voted club of the year by umpires, based on markings over the season. The club last won that award in 2007. Groundsman Colin Whitehall went along to collect the award.
You may also want to watch:
The presentations took place immediately after the competition’s annual meeting at the Exeter Court Hotel in Kenford.
Player of the year was Trevor Anning, the former Sidmouth fast bowler now with Exmouth, while the young player of the year was Tavistock’s Rhys Davies, who is widely rumoured to be joining Exeter in 2014.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
The annual meeting portion of the evening largely rubber stamped changes to the committee and minor rule changes.
The new secretary is former ECB staff member Ed Leverton, who replaces Geoff Coish following his retirement last year.
Coish was presented with a cricket bat signed by Aussie fast bowling legend Jeff Thompson and the league’s services to cricket trophy in recognition of his 13 years in the post.
A vote on which balls should be used in Premier and A Division 2nd XI games had to be re-run after confusion arose over what clubs were voting for – and whether they needed a vote at all!
Proposals to change the way targets are calculated using run-rate in games delayed by rain were shelved for 12 months.