Sidmouth President’s Day is a huge success
- Credit: Archant
This is the third and final year of office for club president Trevor Kerridge and, as such, Saturday’s President’s Day was the final event that he hosted, writes John Barnard.
He chooses the format of the event and this year, he opted for a two man Texas Scramble competition and each player had to get in at least six drives. The handicapping system was complicated and as it is an unusual event (at least for Sidmouth Golf Club), it was decided to try using 35 per cent of the lowest handicapped player and 15 per cent of the higher handicapped player which I suspect worked slightly against the higher handicapped players.
The champions on the day were Neil Holland and David Bater who has been playing consistently well all year.
Par is 66 and they shot 55.4, with eight birdies, one eagle and their handicap allowance. Second were Paddy Tallon and David Burgess with 58.5, David had a good weekend as he was fresh from his win in the Friday night stableford the day before. In third were Craig Melluish and Chris (over golfed) Roberts who scored 59.2. Surprisingly there were only 15 two’s so these were quite lucrative.
In the ladies section, Angela Coles and Liz Chance won with 67.55 with Gill Paddon and Susan Billinghurst second scoring 69.6.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening, a packed clubhouse enjoyed an excellent three meat carvery dinner and were able to celebrate a great day with the president and his wife.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend