Sidmouth President’s Prize joy for Sheila, Marie and Yvonne
- Credit: Archant
On a wet dismal Saturday, Sidmouth Golf Club president Roger Bawden was delighted that all 100-plus competitors for the President’s Prize turned up and played through the constant drizzle that hung around all day, writes Hugh Dorliac.
He had organised a wonderful prize table for this annual event and the prizes were awarded to all the winners at a well-attended presentation evening.
The winners in the ladies’ competition, with a score of 65 points, were the in-form Sheila Faulkner, Marie Timms and Yvonne Anning, who, as well as receiving individual prizes, were presented with a new Ladies’ Plate in memory of Roger’s dear late wife Susan.
Marie made a moving speech of acceptance on behalf of the team and said she was privileged to be one of the first recipients of the Plate.
In terms of the minor places for the ladies, second place went to Marie Clapp, Angela Coles and Susan Hackett with 61 and third were Pauline Couldwell, Marian Andrews and Annie Carter on 59. Sally Fox won the ladies’ nearest the pin prize on the fourth.
You may also want to watch:
Winning the men’s competition with 71 points were Will Hastie, Alex Duckworth and Lawrence Hill, who each received a set of engraved decanter and tumblers and, of course, the President’s Cup.
In second place were Bob Welsman with club captain Colin Macklin and Stuart Coles, with Lewis White, Mark Thomas and David Pepperell on 68, taking third spot on countback from fourth placed Shaun Murphy, Martin White and Ian Peacock.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Mark Thomas also picked up the men’s nearest the pin prize. A draw also took place with proceeds of £338 going to the Sidmouth Hospiscare fund.