Sidmouth Quins chalk up half century of points against visiting Withycombe 2nds
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nds 55, Withycombe 2nds 0 With the cancellation of their last Merit Table fixture against Tiverton, a late call from Withycombe was welcomed to give the Quins a home run out at the Blackmore.
From the outset the Quins had the pace out wide to cause the visitors defence problems, wing Adam Squance opened the scoring with a try wide out, and from then on the scores came at regular intervals.
Sam Sowden making a rare appearance both for Sidmouth and in the centre got the next showing a good turn of speed going over from 35-metres out.
The Sidmouth forwards produced enough quality ball for half backs Jay Wright and Ben Pratt to have options in their distribution, wing Alex Dunn and fullback Scott Davies next benefited from this, scoring team tries. Ben Pratt completed the first half scores dotting down in the corner, Adam Squance converting three to give a 31 to nil score line.
Withycombe never surrendered and proved to have a resolute defence, holding out until the last 20 minutes when tired legs took over.
You may also want to watch:
Number eight Stuart Bickerstaff exploited gaps in visitors defence to score a brace of tries, Ben Dobson came on to sneak over for one, and Adam Squance bagged his second try and also converted two others to complete the scoring.
On Saturday Quins are away for a friendly fixture with Topsham (3pm).
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend