Sidmouth Quins edged out by Tiverton

Sidmouth 2nds away at Honiton. Ref shsp 48 17TI 3819. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth 2nds away at Honiton. Ref shsp 48 17TI 3819. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Quins were narrowly beaten 22-19 when they met Tiverton 2nd XV.

With the Blackmore Field waterlogged, the value of the re-laid pitches at Sidford was highlighted as the match took place in what were near perfect conditions.

Quins made a bright start and their early enterprise and endeavours paid off when Tom Osborne dummied his way over in the corner to finish off a slick handling move.

Twenty minutes into the contest the lead was extended when, from a lineout catch-and-drive play routine, Aaron Down peeled off the driving maul to power his way over and Adam Squance added the conversion to give Quins a 12-0 advantage.

As the first half wore on, Tivvy began to impose themselves on the game. As the home side attempted to clear their lines, an attempted clearance kick was charged down by a forward, who followed up to win the chase for the touchdown. The try was converted by the scrum half and Quins trooped off at the break with a 12-7 lead.

You may also want to watch:

Buoyed by their late first-half try, Tivvy began the second half in the ascendency and quickly drew level when, after a period of pressure near the Sidmouth line, the tight head prop burst over from ten metres out on the blindside of a ruck. The Mid Devon men were soon back on the attack and Dan Rugg did well to get his body under a Tiverton player, preventing a touchdown, as he tackled him over the try-line. However, the pressure eventually told when the scrum half finished off a move on the blindside of a ruck inside the 22. He also added the conversion from wide out. He then kicked a penalty to open up a ten-point gap with five minutes to play.

Quins showed good spirit to finish the game strongly and they closed the points gap with a Mark Unsworth try under the posts from a quickly taken tap penalty. Adam Squance converted to set up a tense closing few minutes, but the visitors held on to take the match honours.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus