Sidmouth racketball team see out season with Torbay triumph
Sidmouth racketball team concluded their Devon League season with two morale boosting victories, writes Rob Cann.
Despite the wins the team still finished bottom of Division 2, but considered their first foray into league racketball a success and are looking forward eagerly to the start of next season in September.
The penultimate victory saw the team defeat Torquay II by three rubbers to two.
Opening game wins for fifth string Andrew Rugg-Gunn 11-5; 11-7; 11-9 and Carl Sowden 11-8; 7-11; 11-9; 4-11 11-9 were followed by defeats for Nick Whittaker at second string 7-11; 6-11; 11-6; 11-5; 10-12 and Rob Cann against Torquay top string 3-11; 5-11; 11-8; 8-11.
The deciding rubber saw honorary Sidmothian Bruce Ash defeat Carl James by a comprehensive 11-8; 11-5; 11-3 margin to seal team victory.
You may also want to watch:
The team’s final game of the season was conceded by Virgin Active Leisure from Plymouth thereby giving the home side the maximum 20 points.
To make up for the missed game Sidmouth arranged a return friendly with near neighbours Culm Valley who play in the same league and had a very enjoyable evening which ended in honours even at two rubbers each.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
All that remains of the season is the customary end of season get together and club dinner at sponsors The Black Horse.