Sidmouth Raiders Under-10s see off Colyton in close encounter
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Raiders Under-10s were 1-0 winners when they met Colyton at St Johns School in their latest Exeter and District Youth League fixture.
The conditions made it difficult for both sets of players, but the Raiders coped well in the early stages creating numerous chances, bringing some fine saves from the Colyton keeper and William Pulman was unfortunate twice when he saw efforts kept out by the frame of the goal!
When Colyton got forward they got little change out of Raiders defensive duo David Clapp and Jake Paget and this meant the home goal was rarely threatened.
The game moved into the second half and, straight from the re-start Colyton fashioned their first meaningful chance, but were denied by a splendid save from Raiders goalkeeper Toby Gosse.
After the early scare Raiders regained control of the contest and, with Thomas Nicholls and George Tanner passing the ball around with purpose, the pressure began to build on the Colyton back line.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors goal led a charmed life until the deadlock was finally broken! A Thomas Fletcher shot was parried by the Colyton glovesman only as far as Michal Bielawski who gleefully drilled the ball home from close range.
Colyton hit back and it needed a timely clearance from Harrison Howe to ensure they did not get the chance to level things up.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 8 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 9 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 10 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
This Saturday the team have no league action and so get the chance to enjoy their Christmas party at the Sports Hall before the seasonal break.