Sidmouth Raiders Under-12s stun table-topping Beacon Knights with late winner
- Credit: Archant
Beacon Knights 2, Sidmouth Raiders 3 Sidmouth Raiders produced an exceptional all-round performance to become only the second team this season to inflict defeat on table-topping Beacon Knights, writes Simon James.
What made the victory all the more remarkable was that it was achieved in conditions that made playing foot ball very difficult with a quality home side that had not been beaten at home all season long, and they came back from being two goals down before bagging a last minute winner!
The game started hard with the home team trying to dominate, stalwart defender Glen Sinker, back in the team after injury soon put pay to the Knights forwards. Scot Gibson’s fantastic left foot got the ball into the Knights half. Matt Laurenti and Will Lorkin demonstrated some superb set pieces, ably backed by Finlay Morgan and Ben Latham. The Knights defence strengthened, the ball broke free and the Knights poached their first goal.
By now the weather was making conditions so difficult that even standing up was a big ask! However, the home team continued surge forward overrunning the Raiders defence and scored again. After some touchline advice from Assistant coaches Craig Morgan and Trevor Lorkin the Raiders regrouped and Jack Wilson scored just before half time.
The youngsters returned to the field, Sidmouth were fired up and confident and the Knights looked rattled by the recent Sidmouth goal. With Ben Scrivens and Thomas West providing their usual stonewall defence, the raiders went to work on the Knights, within a few minutes Sidmouth’s popular Archie Rowe powered in the important equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Knights hit back hard and seasoned Goalkeeper Isaac James (later named Man of the Match), now ankle deep in mud took a pounding from the frustrated Knights strikers.
Finally in the dying minutes, great team play from Jamie Wyant, Cole Monaghan allowed Jack Wilson to score and win the match for Sidmouth.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal