Sidmouth Raiders Under-13s battle away against classy opposition
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Raiders Under-13s were beaten 5-1 by South Molton, but the score line most certainly did not reflect the all-round performance put in by Raiders.
South Molton are new to the league and look like being ‘the team to beat’.
Raiders played confidently, moving the ball around well, creating plenty of chances, defending strongly, and never giving up the fight. However, the opposition were truly impressive and took an 11th minute lead.
Ten minutes later Raiders goalkeeper Thomas Craig made a simply stunning save, somehow plucking the ball out from under the crossbar, when it was already behind him and heading into the net!
South Molton did go on and score two more to lead 3-0 at half-time. In the second half, and despite the clear quality of the opposition, Raiders continued to give as good as they got. They got a goal back when Jack Symington coolly slotted home from distance before both Levi Johnson and Elliot Annings went close after excellent build-up play involving the whole team.
You may also want to watch:
South Molton brought their huge captain back on to steady the ship, bringing them
two more goals and an end to the contest.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 4 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
Despite the score line, the performance throughout the Raiders team demonstrated the
progress the boys have made under coaches Steve Johnson and Dave Johnson. The
team can look forward confidently to the rest of the season.