Sidmouth Raiders Under-9s dramatic penalty shoot-out
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Raiders Under-9s won a dramatic penalty shoot-out to make progress in the Exeter and District Youth Cup at the expense of Heavitree Youth.
The Exeter side began brightly and took the lead which sparked an excellent response from the Raiders. Freya Horler and Herbie Isherwood started injecting some real urgency into the attack. The energy of Charlie Carstairs in midfield was a key factor as Raiders worked their way back into the contest.
Herbie Isherwood rifled a shot that whistled past the frame of the goal.
The Heavies hit back and only some terrific defending from Michael Byrne and Sam Hartland kept them at bay before Isherwood struck to level things up.
Joaquin Cassap impressed with his industry and the link-up play was slick; Kai Prendergast and Freya Horler worked well together, and, when a penalty was awarded to Raiders, Isherwood thumped it home.
You may also want to watch:
With time running out Raiders were left stunned as an own goal saw the Heavies draw level.
Five minutes of extra-time saw neither side able to fashion a winner and so the outcome was decided by a penalty shoot-out.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Raiders goalkeeper Ben Gale saved two of the Heavies spot kicks while Isherwood and Cassop tucked their efforts away to send Raiders into the next round of the cup!
Herbie Isherwood and Joaquin Cassap shared the Man of the Match award.
Coach Dave Isherwood said: “I am unbelievably proud of how the team have developed and worked together over the last couple of months. I am looking forward to much more success from them as we move through the season.”
I may have forgotten to mention ‘man of the match’ awards. They went to Herbie Isherwood and Joaquin Cassap.