Sidmouth Raiders Under-9s serve up five-star win to reach last eight of cup
Sidmouth Under-9s Warriors and Raiders had mixed fortunes when both were in action in the second round of the Exeter and District Youth League KO Cup.
The Warriors were tasked with taking on CS Lions from Sampford Peverell on what was a damp St Johns surface. Warriors made a superb start and bagged an early lead with a clinical finish from Man of the Match Toby Edmunds. The Mid Devon side sought a way back into the game, but found the home defence, and in particular Matthew Dunford a tough nut to crack!
The main threat from Warriors came from set pieces which, in general, were beautifully delivered by Ben Elsom and two of his corners resulted in goals to give Warriors a 3-1 half-time lead. After the break the visitors altered their tactics, but still got little joy out of a determined Warriors side.
At the other end of the pitch the home side continued to see plenty of the ball and it was no surprise to those watching that they added two more goals to seal a 5-0 success. The pick of the goals in the game was a classic solo effort from Jamie Pitter. The victory saw warriors into the quarter finals of the gap.
Sadly they will not be joined in the last eight by Raiders who put up a terrific all-round effort before going down 3-1 at Exeter-based Central United.
You may also want to watch:
In a game of few chances the home side opened the scoring midway through the first half and that’s how it remained until early in the second half when the Raiders pulled level through Michal Bielawski.
The rest of the second half continued to be very tight with Man of the Match Thomas Fletcher putting in a great energetic performance in his holding midfield role, with extra time looking on the cards and everyone glancing at their watches the Exeter side scored twice in the closing stages to end the Raiders cup hopes.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town