Sidmouth RC’s Danny Painter completes Dartmoor ultra event
- Credit: Archant
The first Saturday of June saw Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) member Danny Painter wearing the club colours at the Dartmoor Discovery, writes Hamish Spence.
This event, organised by Teignbridge Trotters, is the longest single-lap 32-mile road ultra marathon in the UK!
What's more, just to make it that much tougher organisers have a 'cut-off time' of six-hours-and-thirty minutes!
The affectionately named 'DD' started in Princetown and passed through Dartmeet, Poundsgate, Newbridge, Ashburton, Buckland in the Moor, Widecombe-in-the-Moor, and finally, Postbridge.
Then for the last push, the competitors headed back to finish in Princetown.
You may also want to watch:
The route included some of the toughest hills on offer with-in the National Park with over 4,000ft of elevation gain.
Danny was competing against 179 runners in this tough ultra and after a supreme effort he crossed the finishing line in 63rd position in a time of 5:34:47.
- 1 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 4 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 5 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 6 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 7 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 8 Artists given a masterclass in watercolour painting
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three