Sidmouth RC’s Danny Painter completes Dartmoor ultra event
- Credit: Archant
The first Saturday of June saw Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) member Danny Painter wearing the club colours at the Dartmoor Discovery, writes Hamish Spence.
This event, organised by Teignbridge Trotters, is the longest single-lap 32-mile road ultra marathon in the UK!
What's more, just to make it that much tougher organisers have a 'cut-off time' of six-hours-and-thirty minutes!
The affectionately named 'DD' started in Princetown and passed through Dartmeet, Poundsgate, Newbridge, Ashburton, Buckland in the Moor, Widecombe-in-the-Moor, and finally, Postbridge.
Then for the last push, the competitors headed back to finish in Princetown.
You may also want to watch:
The route included some of the toughest hills on offer with-in the National Park with over 4,000ft of elevation gain.
Danny was competing against 179 runners in this tough ultra and after a supreme effort he crossed the finishing line in 63rd position in a time of 5:34:47.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey