Sidmouth RC’s Toby Garrick runs well at the British Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club’s Toby Garrick competed at the British Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships held in Loughborough on the second Saturday of March.
It was a very windy day and on a very open course. Toby had to leave his East Devon home by 6am to be on the start line and so it wasn’t just physical fatigue that he had to fight!
However, with some true grit and no small measure of determination, he managed an average of 5.45 minutes-per-mile over what was a 9km route that had plenty of thick mud and hills.
He came 58th in a very tough field of runners and was the first Devon runner by over 70 places. He was running as an U20, so was nearly the youngest in his category. Next weekend he is racing in Leeds in what will be his last ever English Schools Championship – so, it goes without saying, good luck to Toby from all at SRC.
At the recent SRC Awards Night, Toby was presented with the Chris Long Trophy in honour of him being the Male Runner of the Year.
You may also want to watch:
Toby would like to thank all those that have helped and encouraged him through the year and feels honoured to have been chosen. He has had a very good season.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways