Sidmouth RCs Jess Watkins tackles the West Country Ultra Flat 50k
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club’s Jess Watkins took part in the Westcountry Flat 50 organised by Albion Running, writes Hamish Spence.
This ultra marathon starts in Taunton and heads up along the canal for 15 before it follows the River Parrett trail for around 11 miles.
Apart from very some long grass this section is pancake flat.
The route diverts around the Hinkley Point power station and follows the coast, with just one more inland diversion after Kilve beach to West Quantoxhead.
The route continues along beside the sea again at Watchet and here there are some hills, (around 1,214feet of elevation gain).
You may also want to watch:
Jess 'buddied up' with another runner and they took the lead for the first 15 miles.
Over the first half of the race (marathon distance), Jess managed a time of three hours and 28 minutes.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
She was very happy with her 8:53 minute mile average pace and even more happy with her achievement of being the first lady in the even for the second successive year!
She came second overall and with her time being 8:06:01