Sidmouth RCs Justin Ashby smashes the 36 minute mark at the Taunton 10k
- Credit: Archant
With the Sidmouth Running Club ladies enjoying themselves in Bristol and Windsor half marathons, Justin Ashby was dispatched slightly less far up the M5 to take on the Taunton 10k, writes Terry Bewes.
Starting at the Blackbrook Leisure Centre, the route is mostly flat, taking runners past Kings College across the M5 into the country lanes of Stoke St Mary before circling back over the M5 and into Taunton again. As 10k’s go, it is a scenic one that is very well supported too.
Those who run with Justin will know that he has been trying to break 36 minutes for the distance - since 2012!
He has come close on a number of occasions recording 36:00 twice, 36:01 and a host of other close shaves in the intervening years.
Now, finally, after two months of dedicated 10k training, he can tick off that goal, having finished third overall in a time of 35:30. Not just breaking it, but smashing it.
You may also want to watch:
Says Justin: “There have been some near misses along the way, some tactical blunders and some comical mishaps too, but the wait has been worth it. Besides, I promised JP I would do it.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections