Sidmouth RCs Kerry Boyle completes first marathon
- Credit: Archant
Kerry Boyle chose the Exeter Marathon for her first attempt at this distance with a sub 3:50:00 as her target time, writes Terry Bewes.
The course is ideal for those competing for the first time as well as seasonal runners looking for a fast time due to its nature.
Starting at St James Park before heading through the city centre towards the river Exe, you make your way along to Exwick before returning past the Quay and heading towards Countess Wear with the majority of the route being along the footpaths and cycle tracks of the river Exe and the Ship Canal.
It was a bit windy and warm and Kerry found it hard, as, at mile three, a calf injury she had been carrying for some time, played up, and, after that, it was a long hard slog, but her steel and determination held firm!
Even after twice nearly dropping out, she managed to keep her pace for 20 miles to complete a sub four hours finish, crossing the line in a time of 3:54:32.
You may also want to watch:
This gave her 91st place out of the 310 finishers. Although disappointed she did not get the sub 3:50:00, it was a great experience, and she learned a lot and will be ready for the next one. She thanked her coach Justin Ashby and training partner Claire Ashby for all their top tips and support.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections