Sidmouth RFC appoint Dan Retter to post of head coach
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Rugby Club will start pre-season training on Tuesday, July 4, at the Blackmore Field starting at 7pm, writes Terry O’Brien.
Any new players will be most welcome and there will be a barbecue after training on Thursday, July 6, to welcome players old and new.
Dan Retter is the new head coach, replacing Tom Whelan who has moved to Exmouth.
Exeter Chiefs forward Shaun Malton as assistant coach looking after the forwards and defence. The new captain is influential forward Ollie Pyne.
The league season opens on Saturday, September 2, with a trip to St Austell. In preparation, three warm-up games have been arranged with an August 12 game at Wellington followed a week later by an August 19 home meeting with Topsham and an August 26 game when Honiton will be at the Blackmore to contest for the David Turner Cup.
You may also want to watch:
In a new initiative, Sidmouth will be forming links with Bicton College to help develop rugby there for both male and female students while also providing opportunities for the students to play for Sidmouth.
The venture is supported by the RFU as part of their programme to improve the recruitment and retention of players in the 16 to 21 age range.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
Meanwhile, Sidmouth are looking for a new physiotherapist to look after the senior players on training nights and the first XV on match days. Anyone interested should contact director of rugby Peter O’Brien on 07749 100536.
The club is also on the lookout for a new treasurer to work with finance director Nick Brown.
Anyone interested please contact chairman Lester Willmington on 07753 116297.