Sidmouth RFC clubhouse packed for the opening of the 2015 Rugby World Cup
- Credit: Archant
The newly refurbished rugby clubhouse was packed with supporters for the opening event of the Rugby World Cup last Friday, writes Terry O’Brien.
The event got underway at 4pm with a Festival of Tag Rugby for local primary schools. The enthusiasm and skills shown by the youngsters demonstrated the legacy potential of Rugby World Cup 2015.
At the 6pm close of the Festival, the focus moved to the clubhouse, where the young players enjoyed sausage and chips, while upstairs the gathering crowd of adults tucked in to a ‘Fijian’ curry. Up to 100 people of all ages were present to watch the opening ceremony followed by Englands 35-11 win against Fiji.
On Saturday, the Chiefs match was followed by the opening games of the Pullin Cup competition with the Under 8 and Under 16 age groups.
Afterwards the clubhouse remained open for Japan’s sensational victroy over the Springboks and the final game of the day between France and Italy.
You may also want to watch:
This coming Saturday (September 26) the focus will be England’s crucial game against Wales. A Welsh lamb hotpot will be served from 6.30pm before the kick off at 8pm on the big screen.
To order a meal contact Terry O’Brien at email@example.com or phone 01395 577403.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford