Sidmouth RFC dinner proves a hige success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth RFC was filled to the rafters with 80 members, sponsors and guests present for a dinner to celebrate the completion of a five-year plan to develop the clubs facilities and to recognise the great support provided by the Rugby Football Union in bringing the plans to fruition, writes Terry O’Brien.
The guest of honour for the occasion was Jason Leonard OBE, the RFU president and England rugby legend.
Earlier in the day Jason Leonard visited the Sidford ground to inspect the facilities, watch junior teams training and speaking to the youngsters. Autographs were signed and photographs taken.
After enjoying a four course meal, the club chairman Lester Willmington, in proposing a toast to the RFU, outlined the transformation to the club’s facilities. A pavilion has been built at the Sidford ground and the parking area extended. A new pitch has been added at Sidford and the existing pitches have been levelled and drainage installed. Meanwhile, the main clubhouse at the Blackmore Field has been refurbished to provide a modern bar and social space.
The chairman thanked the RFU for grants received from the Rugby Football Foundatrion and the Lead up and Legacy Fund. He also paid tribute to the RFU staff for their invaluable help and guidance along the way.
You may also want to watch:
Jason Leonard replied on behalf of the governing body. After recounting several amusing anecdotes about his rugby career, he congratulated the club on its achievements and proposed a toast to the Sidmouth RFC. After the formalities, Jason Leonard spent the remaining time talking to the dinner guests, signing autographs and being photographed.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Property of the Week: Glebelands