Sidmouth RFC girls’ section end season with ‘Fun in the Sun’ on the beach
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth RFC girls have had a terrific season of continued development, on and off the pitch.
The section has both grown in numbers and seen some of the players now on the radar of the Devon county selectors.
During the campaign, the Under-13 section has grown to its current membership of 30 while the Under-15s now number an impressive 19.
The girls’ section has a serious bunch of rugby players that are setting high standards of rugby with one of them – Rebecca Fallows – having appeared for Devon, and she leads the pathway that is now open for a number of other girls at the club to hopefully also wear county colours next season.
The girls’ section, who are going to be running an Under-18 team next season, already has a superb set of fixtures for the next season which gets under way in September.
You may also want to watch:
There are plans to enter the Devon Cup and, one thing is for sure, in a sport amongst the fastest growing in the country, Sidmouth are at the forefront of the sport and certainly offer real opportunities for girls wishing to get into rugby.
The fact that the girls’ section of the rugby club is where it is today is very much down to the hard work of the likes of Julie Tanner, the girls coordinator, Emma Bagwell, Lou Turley and Pippa Bird as the first-aiders, Sue Wood for catering and social organisation, Lou Turley for excellent marketing/PR, Dave Monro-Higgs (U13 coach and liaison to RFU and schools rugby) doing an amazing job to generate growth, Phil Grove (U13 coach), Jon Tanner and Dan Cozens (U15s coaches), and a lot of parent helpers.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
There’s no denying that there’s a great team supporting the girls’ teams!
They rounded off the campaign with a ‘Fun on the Beach’ day, complete with games in the sea and a barbecue.
The girls’ section would like to thank Guy at Jurassic Paddlesports for supplying the MegaSUP and wetsuits for the girls on the day.