Sidmouth Rugby club go back to the 1970’s
Sidmouth Rugby Club are holding a reunion dinner for all those who played for the club in the 1970s, writes Terry O’Brien.
The dinner will take place in the clubhouse on Saturday, July 27.
The 1970s was a particularly successful decade for the club.
In 1973 the Chiefs won the Havill Plate and in 1978 they reached the final of the Devon Senior Cup, losing to Exeter at the County Ground.
They also reached the semi-finals in the following two seasons. In September 1979 the Chiefs won the Sunday Telegraph South West Team of the Month award for achieving eight wins against tough opponents such as Exmouth, Weston-super-Mare, Barnstaple and Bournemouth.
You may also want to watch:
The decade also saw the start of the Junior section in 1971, the introduction of a third team in 1976 and the Quins achieved a record 29 wins in two successive seasons whilst Colts reached the final of the Devon Colts Cup.
Any ex players wishing to attend should contact Terry O’Brien on 01395 577403 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients