Sidmouth runner Drew second in 3k series meeting at Exeter Arena
The second of the 3k series at Exeter Arena on Monday evening saw the re-emergence of the rivalry between our two top Under-17 runners, writes John Perratt.
Conditions on the night were near perfect, with no breeze and very mild temperatures and as a result numbers were up so that there were six races instead of the normal five.
Jason Drew and Grey Grierson were naturally slotted into the quickest race and, as his wont, Drew set the pace right from the start with Grey some distance back for the first few laps.
The race was eventually won by a senior runner, Exeter Harrier Gwylym Gibson , whose experience showed in the end, but Drew held on for a good second place in a PB of 9.18 with Grierson finishing strongly in third place just three seconds behind him.
Grierson, whose speciality is in fact Orienteering as a member of the English Junior squad, also recorded a PB.
You may also want to watch:
Not to be outdone there were two more Griersons taking part albeit in a slower race. 13-year-old Flurry clocked up exactly 12 minutes to win the F race, lapping most of the rest of the field, and his sister took third place in the same race in 13.26.
Nigel Dupain (13.05) and John Perratt (16.27) completed the Sidmouth line up and hopefully they will be joined by some more for the final leg on Monday, November 25, before the track closes for resurfacing.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council