Sidmouth runner Drew second in 3k series meeting at Exeter Arena
The second of the 3k series at Exeter Arena on Monday evening saw the re-emergence of the rivalry between our two top Under-17 runners, writes John Perratt.
Conditions on the night were near perfect, with no breeze and very mild temperatures and as a result numbers were up so that there were six races instead of the normal five.
Jason Drew and Grey Grierson were naturally slotted into the quickest race and, as his wont, Drew set the pace right from the start with Grey some distance back for the first few laps.
The race was eventually won by a senior runner, Exeter Harrier Gwylym Gibson , whose experience showed in the end, but Drew held on for a good second place in a PB of 9.18 with Grierson finishing strongly in third place just three seconds behind him.
Grierson, whose speciality is in fact Orienteering as a member of the English Junior squad, also recorded a PB.
You may also want to watch:
Not to be outdone there were two more Griersons taking part albeit in a slower race. 13-year-old Flurry clocked up exactly 12 minutes to win the F race, lapping most of the rest of the field, and his sister took third place in the same race in 13.26.
Nigel Dupain (13.05) and John Perratt (16.27) completed the Sidmouth line up and hopefully they will be joined by some more for the final leg on Monday, November 25, before the track closes for resurfacing.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project