Sidmouth runner Jessica Raynor delivers stunning 50-mile run in Somerset
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Runners were out in force last weekend knocking out the miles in a variety of Westcountry locations, writes Monica Read.
Once again filling her fellow club members with awe, Jessica Raynor headed up to Taunton to compete in the low key, but tough ‘Westcountry Ultra Flat 50 Miler’.
Jess produced what can only be described as a ‘stunning’ race. Starting at 7.30am, 50 runners set off on a course which started in Taunton, followed the canal path to Bridgewater Docks, then along the River Parrett trail to Steart Marshes.
From Steart the final section along the coast path gave weary runners views of the Quantocks to the left and the Bristol Channel to the right.
Jessica was supported by her mother, Sarah, who met her at the second aid station and then again towards the end, running the last five miles with Jess, who said: “It was a lovely race. Certainly understated, but one of my favourites.”
You may also want to watch:
Jess was the first lady home and a superb fifth overall, completing the distance in nine hours, finishing more than an hour ahead of the second lady to finish!
Meanwhile, Antony Hall, fully recovered from his London Marathon triumph and eager to run another marathon in the heat, kept it local this weekend.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 9 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 10 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
He completed the Exeter Marathon, finishing in a time of 3:21:11 and declared himself happier with his pacing, keeping a steadier rate throughout this race. Other club members tackled some local 10k and 5k races. David Skinner, completed the picturesque Clyst Hydon Huff 10k with over 90 other runners, enjoying the country lanes and achieving 1:21:23.
Over at the Beer Blazer, 11 SRC members were involved in this event and the club achieved some great results in the 5k with Will Ashby first in his age category, Alecia Ranson first in her category and Suzy Rockey being the third lady home.
Hamish Spence led the Sidmouth field in the 10k with Sarah Clapham the first Sidmouth lady runner home.
Beer Blazer 10k results:
Hamish Spence 1:02:52, Sam Ingram 1:03:00, Christopher Day-Kerry 1:05:34, Sarah Clapham 1:06:52, Karen Farnham 1:08:14, Christine Farnham 1:08:14, Amelia Frankpitt 1:21:40, Janice Ranson 1:27:57
5k Results: Suzi Rockey 29:28, Will Ashby 32:30, Alecia Ranson 33:40