Sidmouth Running Club beginners course success
- Credit: Archant
The first cohort of the 2018 Running Club Beginners completed their first three mile non stop run and were presented with certificates in front of the rest of the club recently, writes Monica Reed.
“We are delighted with the progress the Beginners Group has made so far,” said Helen Palmer, run leader, as she presented certificates.
Helen added: “This is the first group to have got up to three miles, and we have many more coming through incredibly well.”
The Beginners group have built up their distance since the New Year through a combination of running and walking, and most have run with the club on Monday and Wednesday evenings.
Brother and sister duo Richard King and Samantha Dicks both received their certificates and were delighted with the achievement.
You may also want to watch:
Sam said: “It’s a lot more fun than I expected, even though I have to run with Richard!”
Clare Partridge has been pleased with the friendly atmosphere at the club.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 6 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
She says: “The hardest part of the course has been coming along on dark cold evenings, but it is never cold once you start running, and it’s great to have a chat as you go.”
Sue Jones and Nick Jennings also received their certificates as did Jodie Pile who has found the course hard work, but has loved it.
Jodie says: Tony, David and the team have given so much support and encouragement.
“Without them I would still be running between lamp posts.
“As it is I enjoy having a laugh with the others about the tempting pubs and takeaways as we pass, and must say if I can do it anyone can.
“Everyone at the club is a true inspiration.”