Sidmouth Running Club duo take On the Ham and Lyme 100 Ultra Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club members Danny Painter and Jessica Raynor took on the Ham and Lyme 100 Ultra Marathon, organised by Albion Running and anther member, Sarah Watkins, competed in the 50kn version, writes Hamish Spence.
This ultra marathon is follows the stunning Liberty Trail, between Lyme Regis and Ham Hill Country Park in Somerset for the 50km and then back for the 100km.
The competitors for the 100km set off from Lyme at 7am, the 50km runners from Ham Hill at 9:30.
In temperatures reaching in excess of 30 degrees in the middle of the day, it made running extremely uncomfortable, so it was soon realised, that any plans for personal bests on the time keeping front, would have to be revised back to survival mode for the duration.
Keeping the brain awake for map reading in the heat was a task in its self! However, thanks to the food stations being fantastic, the Red Arrows being in the neighbourhood and stunning views the miles were covered and the race completed.
You may also want to watch:
Danny finished a splendid seventh in 13:20:30 while Jessica was eighth in 13:34:57 and second lady across the finish line.
Sarah Watkins arrived at the finish line in 7:44:08 giving her an over all position of 113th.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown