Sidmouth Running Club gets terrific boost from the Keith Owen Fund
- Credit: Archant
After 12 months of attending various England Athletics courses throughout the UK and training with other local clubs and individuals, head coach Kerry Boyle and assistant coach Claire Ashby finally saw all their hard work pay off with the inaugural five week course for juniors in the eight to 12 year age group taking place at Sidmouth College, writes Hamish Spence.
The training sessions last for 90 minutes where a multi-event approach is adopted, teaching speed, endurance, jumping and throwing.
Each member is given an activity card to record their progress over the weeks with awards presented at the end.
As with any start-up the cost is high but it was important to us that the juniors felt part of the club.
Chair Terry Bewes approached the secretary of the Keith Owen Fund, Liz Warren to enquire if this was something they may consider and she was very enthusiastic and suggested we make an application.
You may also want to watch:
Our application for funding for the junior vests, activity cards and flag were approved and we were pleased to welcome Liz to a training session to hand them over.
Liz gave those gathered a talk on the Keith Owen Fund and the fundamentals that it strives to achieve in helping out such a diverse range of activities in the town and surrounding areas especially where youth is concerned.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 8 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 9 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
The club is most grateful for the £950 that it invested in our juniors.
For more details on how to apply for an award form the Keith Owen Fund go to http://www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk/